Thursday, April 28, 2011

Chicago - Part 1

I totally suck. Yes. I do. I totally suck. I spent about 30 minutes in the city of Chicago yesterday taking pictures. The city of Chicago. It's a photographer's wonderland. My photos. Yuck. Let's take a look.

But first, let me take a moment to find a photo from the past that I've taken that doesn't suck.

View on Flikr
OK. That's a cute picture. In focus. Decent composition. Darn cute kid. So it is possible for me to take a decent picture. With that in mind, I'll now look at some of the output from my half hour in the city.

* deep breath *

So I got out of my car and saw some pigeons. Really, what I was trying to do, was play with the tilt. People seem to be able to put this tilt in their composition and it looks so great. I can't do it. I was trying to see how much to tilt.


Next up. Cool fire escape. The first shot was an actual attempt at decent composition, then more tilt practice.


Don't like any of them. Too angled. Angled the wrong way. All yuck. First one's not bad though, which is not bad since that's the one I really tried to make look good.

View on Flikr

Next up, greenery...


There was a minuscule patch of greenery on the roof. Tried to use it.  They're nothing fabulous. 

Up next, buildings. The first two shots came out pretty decent.

View on Flikr
View on Flikr
They're simple building shots, but not bad. Then I tried playing with that whole tilt thing again. Ugh. Nothing good.


The bottom two on the right I was actually trying to do something with that little square of windows. Couldn't find a way to make them work.

OK. That's enough to ruminate on for the moment. In Chicago - Part 2, I'll review my obsession with lines, some shots of the Sears/Willis Tower, and a fence. Exciting stuff. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment